"DANGERS OF ACTIVISM – I leave my SAFETY to GOD!” – ESTHER IJEWERE

On October 9, 2012, on her way home from taking exams, Nobel Peace Prize winner, Malala Yousafzai, was shot in the head by two masked gunmen, belonging to the Taliban, an extremist Islamic group.
They were trying to stop her from disseminating her belief that girls everywhere have a right to education. She recovered, and within four months, she fearlessly returned to her activism. She revealed that despite the attempted assassination, she doesn't fear the Taliban. She doesn't even fear dying, she says, as long as the movement for education equality lives on.

In Nigeria, a high-profile activist's ‘lethal silence’ was that of the Ken Saro-Wiwa, who was executed by a former military regime, for fighting for the rights of the Ogoni. Twenty-two years after his judicial murder, Nigerians seem to not have embraced the self-sacrifice of activists as the social media (and its like) are shrouded with lambast and threats on activists in the course of their activism.
Being an activist, in any country (especially in countries with poor governance and human rights record like Nigeria), is inherently dangerous, as that means going up against people of power with cash at their feet, judicial evasion and other resources to keep activists quiet. To say the least, activism (social or political) is a very dangerous venture, especially when an activist steps on the toes of powerful individual (or their family members or friends).


As part of ‘Stamp Out GBV @stampoutgbv’ collaborative work with NGOs, we are delighted to introduce Mrs Esther Ijewere – she is the Founder of Rubies Ink Initiative for Women and Children, Convener of the Walk Against Rape Campaign and also, Editor-In-Chief of Women of Rubies (a blog aimed at celebrating exceptional women with inspiring stories).

Esther Ijewere

She sits on the board of The African Development Imperative (TADI) and also, a fellow with Hillary Clinton’s founded Vital Voices Global Leadership organisation. I have been into advocacy and development work since 2010.

She is a recipient of many awards – notable among them are the ‘Wise Women in Media Award’ she received last year amid her recent recognition as one of the ‘100 Most Inspiring Women in Nigeria’.

We interviewed this ‘fearless activist’ on some of her NGO’s quest for a Rape-Free Nigeria at the cost of her life and family’s.

@stampoutgbv: Social advocacy seems to be bed-partner with ‘stepping on people’s toes (powerful or not)’ – notable is the ‘facebook case’ wherein friends of an alleged rapist openly threatened you – do you fear for your life over any reprisal attack from a rapist (or allies)?

Mrs Esther: Yes, sometimes I harbour such thoughts but then again, I say to myself “I haven’t done any wrong in making my voice relevant.” So, I let go of the thought immediately. Besides, as a Christian, who puts everything before God, I know He is my shield, and because this is more of a calling than a job, I leave Him to handle my safety.

@stampoutgbv: Have you experienced any physical attack in the past or of recent?

Mrs Esther: Not at all! Aside from the usual online attacks.


With one of the many awards she has won for her activism

@stampoutgbv: What are the security measures you’ve taken to protect you and your family from such potential attack?

Mrs Esther: I really have not had cause to take any measures, sincerely. Like I said, I am not doing anything unreasonable to make me go that route. I might consider it in the future

@stampoutgbv: Do the Government provide any ‘special security’ for social advocates, like you?

Mrs Esther: No – that’s me speaking for me. I don't know about others.

@stampoutgbv: What is your advice to the Government on introducing security policies (life insurance) amid detailing security personnel to social advocates?

Mrs Esther: I want to appeal to them to please help us put these securities measures in place and make them available whenever we need it. Now that you mentioned this, I think it's about time social advocates come together as a body and take this to the front burner. If we are building the Nation, then our security should be priority to the Government!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“NOT A WASTE OF TIME - The NYSC SCHEME is a Fertile Ground For NGOs!” – SANDRA OKELEKE

“Most Child Abuse Cases End Up With The Offenders Going Scot-Free!” – NWABUISI GOSPEL